- May 17: Fergus Falls: Mortgage Burning
- May 9: Camp Opener
- Apr 13: Hibbing: Raffle
- Mar 17: Hopkins: St Patricks Parade
- Mar 15: Regional Hoop Shoot
- Mar 2: Duluth: Dues Paying Day
- Feb 23: Bonspiel
- Feb 8: State Hoop Shoot
- Jan 17: ER 101
- Jan 5: State Ritual Competition
- Dec 15: Hutchinson: Yankee Gift Exchange
- Dec 14: Willmar: Yankee Gift Exchange
- Dec 8: Owatonna: Holiday Party
- Dec 7: Red Wing: Youth Camp Event
- Dec 2: Dakota County: Xmas Party
- Dec 1: Minneapolis: Holiday Party
- Nov 23: Int'l Falls: Santa Visit
- Nov 10: Faribault: ENF
- Nov 8: Mankato: Wine Tasting
- Oct 29: Austin: A Fresh Start
- Oct 27: St Cloud: Halloween Party
- Oct 26: Thief River Falls: Buck&Doe Night
- Oct 21: Mid Year Convention
- Oct: Alexandria: Pig and Wing
- Oct 6: Stillwater: Chuck Wagon
- Oct 5: Virginia: Mystery Dinner
- Sep 28: Bemidji: Homecoming!
- Sep 15: Worthington: King Turkey Day
- Sep 8: Rochester: Member Appreciation
- Aug 24: Eveleth: Car Show
- Aug 17: Wadena: Make-A-Wish
- Aug 3: Brainerd: County Fair
- Aug 3: Youth Camp
- July 20: Winona: Rockin the Lot
- July 1: Austin, TX
On The Road Again : A Year in the Life of the State President
Stillwater Lodge #179
|This installment of On The Road Again finds Lynn traveling to Stillwater Lodge #179.|
|Greetings Fellow Minnesota Elks!|
Saturday, October 6, 2012 - snow has been removed from my car and I'm on the road, headed for Stillwater Lodge #179. Another day for a great drive - no snow as I make my way south - the trees are still beautiful and the sun is shining.
I haven't been to Stillwater Lodge #179 since the last time they hosted the convention. I'm looking forward to this visit. On tap for the evening: Chuck Wagon @ The 179 Corral.
5:00 p.m. - Saloon Hour - which included some festive appetizers, such as Cowboy Caviar, Wagon Weinies, Vegetables and Spud Chips. 6:00 p.m. - Chow Time - Check Wagon Beef On A Bun, Spud Salad, Bunkhouse Beans, Grandma's Pickles, and Sweets. 7:00 - Karaoke & Dancing. The food was very tasty!
Again - another fabulous and fun event. What a group of "WORKERS!" This event was hosted by the Auxiliary. Note, I didn't say Ladies Auxiliary as the Stillwater Auxiliary is made up of men and women. Who said men don't do dishes??
I think I met everyone in the place! What great hospitality! I was able to meet with the ER and some of the Officers and Trustees. After a lot of changes, the group is working hard to keep the lodge on track. It was refreshing to see such a positive atmosphere and positive group of individuals. The Lodge has begun a membership drive and had already signed up a couple of new members.
When ER Jim gave the 11 o'clock toast, I think there were just as many people at the event as when it started! But, when people are having fun, they like to stick around. They had some fabulous and entertaining karaoke singers as well.
I returned to the Lodge on Sunday, October 7, 2012, as they were demonstrating how to brew your own beer. How could I pass that up?
There were two individuals out back of the Lodge, brewing up some beer. The one was going to be a Vanilla Oatmeal Stout and the other I don't recall. There was so much to learn, I couldn't remember everything. What a process! One was using a propane burner/kettle system and the other an electric/keg system. The best part, there were some samples of previously brewed batches. The bourbon stout was quite tasty. Later in the day, they were going to have the Lift Bridge Brewing Company on tap with some samples. In addition, as I was leaving the lodge, they were having a wine making demonstration. I did learn that brewing beer takes a long time. I jokingly said: "You know you can buy this stuff at the liquor store." But, as you beer brewers know, it's hard to find good beer.
So, as you can see - things are moving along at Stillwater Lodge #179. I would have liked to have stayed longer, but it was time for me to get back on the road and head home for another fun filled week of my real job.
The cook at Duluth Lodge #133 took a couple of days off to travel to California and be on the Price Is Right, so I've volunteered to go up and cook spaghetti on Monday. The Duluth PER's are cooking a Harvest Dinner at the Lodge on Friday, October 12. So much to do and so little time. . . Then, it's off to Alexandria.
Stay tuned for my next installment . . . In the meantime, don't forget to ROCK THE BOAT!
Lynn M. Rohlf
Minnesota Elks Association State President